(sbc) what bands/artists did you see/hear this year
doerz
2004-12-07 01:46:35 UTC
i attended *many* more shows than usual this year.

achilles tendon surgery and post surgery complications put me *totally* on
the shelf until mid-march and rehabbing has kept me [still] from doing the
things i really love (which include a lot of running/jumping/climbing)...so
in lieu of those activities, i spent my time in large and small, crowded and
uncrowded, indoor and outdoor, expensive and free venues listening to music
i enjoy....this is who i can *remember* seeing/hearing....i really need to
get out to see (1) more local bands and (2) new national acts

prince
peter himmelman (3 times)
metallica
rush
bill mallonee (from vigilantes of love)
sister hazel
vfc bruce + esb/fogerty/r.e.m./bright eyes [cleveland]
r.e.m.
simon & garfunkel
gin blossoms
the clarks [pittsburgh band] *many* times
bill deasy [pittsburgh artist] *many* times
david bowie
the subdudes
wilco
indigo girls
edwin mccain band
bodeans
lowen & navarro (2 times)
american music club
dan bern
john hiatt
lyle lovett
bruce hornsby (2 times)
flood aid

....still have a few local shows to go to to round out the calendar year.

so, who knocked you out with a live performance this year?
T_Hull
2004-12-07 02:05:51 UTC
Interpol
Sprinsgteen (VFC)
Tommy Stinson
Paul Westerberg
Guided By Voices
Von Bondies
The Strokes
Patti Smith
New Model Army
The Hiss
--
"Somewhere in the universe there must be something better than man." - Taylor

______________________
remove 'XXX" to reply.
FISH246
2004-12-07 05:19:15 UTC
luckily not springsteen
TB
2004-12-07 02:26:27 UTC
Post by doerz
i attended *many* more shows than usual this year.
(snip)

2004:

The Darkness
Velvet Revolver
Concrete Blonde
David Bowie
Van Halen (2 times)
Ministry
Bad Religion
Social Distortion

T.B.
EvilRev Returns
2004-12-07 02:53:13 UTC
David Bowie

Bare Naked Ladies/Alanis

George Thorogood

And your crybaby, whiny-assed opinion would be....
http://community.webtv.net/RevIsBack/RevRockabilly
T_Hull
2004-12-07 03:42:02 UTC
Post by TB
Ministry
I've seen them several times, last time on the Filth Pig tour and they
have always sucked. I remember seeing "For Those Who Weren't There"
thinking how great they would be in concert. After about the 3rd suckass
show I gave up. Are they any better now? Do they miss Mr. Barker?

remove 'XXX" to reply.
Bluetele
2004-12-07 07:05:34 UTC
Saw Bruce a few times, natch. REM with him twice, Tracy Chapman, Patti
Scialfa and Jackson Brown with him other times. And that's not a bad score
card right there, you know that?

Went to a couple Prince/Morris Day and the Time shows. The first show blew
my socks off. I was less enthused about the 2nd show, though. It wasn't
entirely new to me anymore. Also, I went in the wrong door or something,
so I didn't get myself a 2nd copy of Musicology. That irritated me. Plus,
I was by myself the 2nd time. The people in the seats around me were
annoying and unattractive, too. They were singing and dancing and crap like
that, which really bugged me. Come to think of it, I had decided to go to
the show on the spur of the moment because I was a crab that day, and I
thought it might make me break out of my surly mood. It didn't really help,
as it turned out.

Got a sweet ticket for David Bowie, so I went to see him. I'm not a huge
fan, but the ticket was 3rd row, so why not? There was a clip of Uncle
Floyd and Oogie up on the video screen for one song. That was fun. The man
puts on a nice show---Bowie, that is. I met a woman before the show. I'm
not sure, but I think she might have been interested. I wasn't interested.
I liked thinking that maybe she was interested, though. I would've asked
her whether or not she was interested, but I don't know whether I would have
liked her answer. I'm glad she didn't ask me.

I went to see Eric Clapton at the Garden. I was originally supposed to go
with my girlfriend at the time, but that didn't happen. Getting tickets was
really her idea. After that relationship came to an end, I thought long and
hard about giving her the tickets---but I kind of wanted to see Clapton
myself, ya know? I tried my best to score another equal or better pair
that I could give her, but struck out (I scored my Bowie ticket in the
process, though). In the end, I kept the tickets for myself and never even
consulted with her about them. Not exactly my proudest moment. I ended up
going with my older sister, at least. She enjoyed the show. I thought it
was more or less okay, but I brought a lot of baggage with me that night.
You know something? Guilt and remorse don't really go with the Blues all
that well.

I went to see Patti Scialfa when she played at the Paramount. That was a
surprisingly good show. I thought I would see more people I know, though.
I did get to hang out a bit with Carl B a bit before the show. He's a
quality guy to drink beer with, so that worked out well. There was a woman
there who was wearing a tee-shirt with a slogan that I assumed was some sort
of Christian reference, and thought "ugh!" I don't think well of
bumper-sticker Christians, ya know? Anyway, I avoided her like the plague
because of her tee-shirt. Then, during the show, I figured out the shirt
was referring to Patti's song, "State of Grace." You know what happens when
you assume, right? I need to remember that more often.

Then I saw the Eastern Potata reunion show. It's been over ten years since
they played together, so that was pretty cool. No, you haven't heard of
them. They were a band that my sister's ex-boyfriend was in. They were
damn good, though. That show was something like a class reunion for the
clique of their fans. I got to see a lot of people I haven't seen since
back in the day. People don't really change much over the course of a
decade, do they? Of course, I feel like a completely different person, but
I don't think anybody noticed that.

To pay me back for the Clapton concert, my sister took me to see the Strawbs
do an acoustic show out in Sparta. We got a little lost on the way, but
found the joint in plenty of time for the show. It was a pretty nice deal,
actually. We got a nice dinner and a show out of the deal. The prime rib
looked pretty good, but I need to watch my cholesterol these days. I had
the chicken instead. I like Eliot Spitzer, but he's not my sister's
favorite guy these days. I admit that a Spitzer lawsuit can have a
devastating effect on stock prices, retirement plans, and lead to lay-offs.
And I admit that it's true that these things do have bad consequences for
ordinary people who are effected. But I still like Eliot Spitzer. I agreed
to disagree, but I bet she still thinks I should change my mind.

Then, there were also some shows that I didn't see...

There was a Little Richard/Chuck Berry show that I wanted to go to, but
wasn't able to make it. I'm going to regret that more and more further on
down the road. What was more important than that? I can't even remember...

I was going to take my Dad to see Willie Nelson for Father's Day, but that
show got cancelled. The damn bastard decided to get surgery for carpal
tunnel syndrome. They kept saying that the show was going to be
re-scheduled, but they eventualy decided just to cancel the whole damn thing
after leaving me in limbo for weeks and weeks. I'm still pissed at Willie
Nelson. I ended up taking my Dad to see the Cubs at Shea Stadium instead.
Those damn Cubs lost the game in the first inning, so I'm pissed at them
now, too. I was in charge of navigating on the way home, but I got us
pretty good and lost. I bluffed it well enough that I don't think anyone
noticed, though. We did get home eventually.

I get lost a lot, actually. I've gotten pretty good at being lost, too. To
tell you the truth, I kind of like not knowing where the hell I am. You
never know what you're going to find when you're hopelessly lost. It can
turn an ordinary drive into a little adventure.

I had won a couple of lawn seats for a Diana Krall concert, but I skipped
that one too. I think it was Diana Krall, anyway. I don't have any regrets
about that. I did the happy hour thing after work instead. A Hispanic
friend tried to teach me how to dance. She didn't succeed, but she was nice
about it. Hey, if I haven't learned to dance properly in 42 years, what are
the chances? I'll be biting my lip on the dance floor until the day I die.

I tried to see Steve Earle in NYC on Halloween. The Halloween Parade got in
my way, though. Couldn't get anywhere near the Bowery Ballroom in time.
That's all right. I've seen Steve a few times before. On the other hand,
I did get to see a lot of things that I've never seen before marching in
that parade.... That was actually the 2nd time I've attended the parade by
accident. One of these years, I'll have to go on purpose. It looks like
it's a pretty good revel, if that's what you're there for.

I'm trying to remember whether or not I saw Bob Dylan this year or not.
I don't think there's much point in going to see him again if I can't even
remember... I mean, what's the point?

I feel like I must be forgetting another show or two here... I think it's
just a matter of wanting to believe I'm more exciting than I actually am.
I'm pretty sure that's everything, actually. I really would like to be
able to claim a few hip and cool shows, but that's just not happening these
days. Having an exciting life is just too damn much trouble these days. I
really should have been more exciting back when I had the time and energy, I
guess... The world of the hip is meant for the young and the pathetic.
I'm average enough and I'm at that age now, when I show up at a show, it
becomes just a little bit less cool simply because an average old guy like
me is there. When there's a lot of guys like me, and I feel more at
home, we're approaching full Cleveland territory. Life shows no mercy that
way.

I'm in something of a yadda, yadda, yadda mood tonight. I'll stop now.

bt
ImThCat
2004-12-07 07:24:57 UTC
John Hiatt
Lucinda Williams
Wille Nelson & Bob Dylan with
The Hot Club of Cowtown
VFC w/ Tracy Chapman

Pretty slow concert year for me.

Garry
Denise
2004-12-07 09:29:06 UTC
Subject: Re: (sbc) what bands/artists did you see/hear this year
Date: 12/7/2004 2:05 AM Eastern Standard Time
I'm in something of a yadda, yadda, yadda mood tonight
Boy, I'll say.

You have some of Ruth's cookies? ;-)

Denise
(who loves Mikey's long-winded and necessarily pointless commentaries), NC
Jan
2004-12-07 17:55:59 UTC
My, how the mighty have fallen. This slut, my sister Denise, used to run
this newsgroup. Now she takes weeks to come up with a line about cookies.

Jan
The NEW Boss of this Newsgroup
david
2004-12-07 18:27:39 UTC
Where's "rev" and his muttering about civility?
EvilRev Returns
2004-12-08 03:27:31 UTC
From: ***@habermehl.com (david)
Where's "rev" and his muttering about civility?

Right here, David

Whoever "jan" is, I'm laughing pretty hard...if you're taking this
seriously you truly "need a life"

OTOH, when numerous RMAS posters deliver personal attacks because of a
difference of opinion, there is no satirical intent. Its malice, pure &
simple...to try to equate one with the other is truly apples & oranges

BTW: As far as Stereophonics are concerned-it doesn't help to insult the
audience that you expect to buy your product (opening for Bowie:
pointing to the backdrop with their name when introducing themselves
saying "in case you can't f#@#king read")

David Habermehl
2004-12-08 23:18:33 UTC
Post by david
Where's "rev" and his muttering about civility?
Right here, David
Whoever "jan" is, I'm laughing pretty hard...if you're taking this
seriously you truly "need a life"
OTOH, when numerous RMAS posters deliver personal attacks because of a
difference of opinion, there is no satirical intent. Its malice, pure &
simple...to try to equate one with the other is truly apples & oranges
BTW: As far as Stereophonics are concerned-it doesn't help to insult the
pointing to the backdrop with their name when introducing themselves
Oh, yeah, "satire." Not a "vicious" personal attack like "numerous"
RMASers.

Whatever floats your boat.

Just out of curiousity (and this should be trivial, because you say
it's so frequent), what's a recent example of a "vicious" RMAS attack.
Just for my instruction, so I can contrast it to Jan's "satire."

just ruth
2004-12-08 00:36:39 UTC
Post by Jan
My, how the mighty have fallen. This slut, my sister Denise, used to run
this newsgroup. Now she takes weeks to come up with a line about cookies.
Jan
Oh shut up and have your way with me, wench.

just ruth
2004-12-08 00:36:08 UTC
Date: 12/7/2004 2:05 AM Eastern Standard Time
I'm in something of a yadda, yadda, yadda mood tonight
Boy, I'll say.
You have some of Ruth's cookies? ;-)
Denise
(who loves Mikey's long-winded and necessarily pointless commentaries), NC
Hehe...

I believe you and I oughta organize a Mikey fan club.. I bet lots of
folks would join!

Wasted In The Heat

bt
just ruth
2004-12-08 00:35:18 UTC
Post by Bluetele
[...]
I woulda gone with you.... We woulda had fun. Maybe Prince woulda sung
"Frankie" for us .;-)

Post by Bluetele
I did get to hang out a bit with Carl B a bit before the show. He's a
quality guy to drink beer with
Or even not to drink beer with...He's just a great guy..

People don't really change much over the course of a
Post by Bluetele
decade, do they?
Depends on which decade, I'm thinking..
Post by Bluetele
I get lost a lot, actually. I've gotten pretty good at being lost, too. To
tell you the truth, I kind of like not knowing where the hell I am. You
never know what you're going to find when you're hopelessly lost. It can
turn an ordinary drive into a little adventure.
That is exactly what I tell my kids... daily, because I generally get
lost daily. I tell them that not only is it a little adventure but that
we just might turn a corner and find " THE PERFECT THING".
Post by Bluetele
I'm in something of a yadda, yadda, yadda mood tonight.
And I love it when you are...

Sgh3
2004-12-07 02:38:19 UTC
Post by doerz
so, who knocked you out with a live performance this year?
Top 10 for me -- roughly in order of impressiveness:

Prince
Wilco
Pearl Jam (VFC warmup in Boston)
Bruce/Fogerty/REM/Tracy Chapman (VFC Orlando)
Aimee Mann
Patti Smith
Dylan
Cowboy Junkies
REM
Fiery Furnaces

SGH
FVicarel3
2004-12-07 02:56:35 UTC
none
just ruth
2004-12-08 00:29:56 UTC
Post by Sgh3
Post by doerz
so, who knocked you out with a live performance this year?
Prince
Wilco
so Wilco is playing MSG and Sleater Kinney is opening ( my kid's
favorite and a band i like quite a bit too) on New Years Eve.. Am I too
old to handle that?

Ruth, wondering?

Sgh3
2004-12-08 01:04:09 UTC
Post by just ruth
so Wilco is playing MSG and Sleater Kinney is opening ( my kid's
favorite and a band i like quite a bit too) on New Years Eve.. Am I too
old to handle that?
Nope. I have a head time imagining Wilco playing to such a large arena and
suspect that some of their best live attributes will be lost. Given the
choice, I'd certainly want to see them somewhere else. But their shows in
general aren't the kind of concert that make you feel like an out of place old
fart, IMHO.

Sleater Kinney may actually do pretty well in the arena environment. I saw
them open for Pearl Jam at an outdoor ampitheater show a year or two ago and
they translated pretty well to the big arean thing.

SGH
Rubleem
2004-12-08 15:36:58 UTC
<<Sleater Kinney may actually do pretty well in the arena environment. I saw
them open for Pearl Jam at an outdoor ampitheater show a year or two ago and
they translated pretty well to the big arean thing.>>

In fact, S-K opened for PJ presumably on the same tour at MSG, in July 2003,
and did a good job in a weird setting for them, and got a respectful response.

Using S-K and, the previous night, the Buzzcocks, both mainstay openers of the
tour, actually worked to enhance PJ: that band is smart enough to bring out
artists with far superior material that they loved and wanted their fans to
see, but who can't really compete with PJ's live arena chops. The Buzzcocks'
appearance was its last on the tour, and PJ came out for the last song. PJ
then turned its own set into a mini-tribute by extrapolating a whole lot of a
Buzzcocks' nonhit into Wishlist, and bringing some of them out for encores
songs. Get the MSG video. It's really cool.

RB
Jim Mitchell
2004-12-07 03:38:11 UTC
Simon and Garfunkel
Anson Funderburgh and the Rockets (2x)
j***@northwestern.edu
2004-12-07 03:51:21 UTC
Let's see if I can even remember all of them:

David Bowie - first concert of the year, and a hell of a way to kick it
off. Macy Gray opening was pretty meh, but Bowie put on an amazing
show, really rocking the house and playing most everythign on my wish
list, including "All The Young Dudes," "Under Pressure," "Life On
Mars?" and "Five Years."

Bob Dylan - at both the Aragon and the Riviera in Chicago. Two great
shows, with highlights including a sinister "It Ain't Me Babe" and a
tender "Girl From The North Country," but I don't think Dylan will ever
be able to top his Berlin show from last fall, at least in my book.

The Darkness - once at the Vic in late March and once at Summerfest in
Milwaukee. More or less the same show, but both rocked my ass off. Few
bands could put on a show that was more pure fun.

Ben Kweller/Death Cab for Cutie - in April. Death Cab were good, not
great. Kweller's bassist broke his arm earlier that day, so Ben did his
whole set acoustic with just guitar and piano. Great show.

The Roots/Common - in April. The Roots always put on a great concert.
This was no exception, though it wasn't particularly special.

Curiosa - down in Tinley Park. I don't think I'll ever like Interpol
all that much, but the Rapture were surprisingly fun. The Cure played a
great set with a good mix of new stuff and old, highlights being
"Pictures Of You" and "Love Cats." Oh to be a high school goth chick...

Modest Mouse/Death Cab for Cutie - in August. Death Cab again were
good, not great. Modest Mouse tore through their songs with a lot of
energy, though, and rocked with the best of them.

Franz Ferdinand - in late September. This was a very fun show, they
played with a lot of energy, and everybody onstage and off was bouncing
up and down.

Bruce/Fogerty/REM/Chapman - in Orlando. Everyone here already knows how
incredible this was. USA/Badlands/Prove It/No Surrender is the most
intense opening sequence I've ever seen. Wow.

Wilco - on Halloween, featuring a great cover of "Don't Fear The
Reaper" (could have used more cowbell, though). Other highlights
included near flawless performances of nearly everything off the new
album, a country blues arrangement of "Jesus, etc.," a very bouncy
"Shot In The Arm," and a breathtakingly beautiful "Another Man Done
Gone."

Ted Leo - in late November. Ted Leo is God. Get it through your heads,
people. Why is this man not selling billions upon billions of records?
Oh well, easier for me to get up near the stage during the show and
hang out with him talking about James Joyce afterwards. One more time,
say it with me, kids: Ted. Leo. Is. God.

Arcade Fire - down in Champaign-Urbana a couple weeks ago. This concert
was unlike anythign I've ever seen. They came out on stage looking like
some in-bred Canadian farm family freak show and played with completely
reckless abandon, delivering a hauntingly intense, rocking set that
included everything off their album, plus a new song and a bitching
Talking Heads cover (with steel drum!).

And I think that'll do me for this year. A pretty damn good one, if I
say so myself.

-Jyqm
Mary-Ellen Breton
2004-12-07 04:48:32 UTC
it was brief year for moi ...

Prince
VFC - Philly
David Bowie w/ The Polyphonic Spree !!!!! best show of the year - I fell
in love with the 'Spree !

had tickets but sent Rich with guest since I had school ;-(
Richard Thompson - first time I've missed a RT show in a number of
years
Bob Dylan - and he was only 15 minutes from my house !

nothing to look forward to in 2005 except Mickey Mouse and q one night stay
in Quebec City to pick up the youngest a day early when he is away at a
field trip ( in time to get back for his brother's high school graduation) -
I can't justify what I think the U2 ticket prices may be with me still in
school full time, with sucky $9/hour job at only 14 hours a week, a dying
dishwasher and a kid heading to college next year - maybe being a DBA wasn't
so bad afterall ....

Mary-Ellen
John Bigboote
2004-12-07 05:01:06 UTC
Post by Mary-Ellen Breton
it was brief year for moi ...
Prince
VFC - Philly
David Bowie w/ The Polyphonic Spree !!!!! best show of the year - I fell
in love with the 'Spree !
Prince, at long last. Fooking brilliant. Perhaps the best performance by a
band I've ever seen. Bruce beats him in songwriting, and in giving his all
to the performance. Prince wins on musicianship and stage craft, hands down.

All in all, and after a couple of months to consider it, I'd say it was
every bit as good as the best Springsteen show(s) I've ever seen.

Would have loved to see Bowie. Only saw him once, during the Serious
Moonlight tour. Was working security in the pit in front of the stage; could
have reached back and grabbed his ankle virtually any time, I was that
close. Awesome show.

-jb
--
John Bigboote
Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
"The Future Begins Tomorrow"
Lmmr
2004-12-07 11:09:07 UTC
Post by Mary-Ellen Breton
in love with the 'Spree !
Prince, at long last. Fooking brilliant. Perhaps the best performance by a
band I've ever seen. Bruce beats him in songwriting, and in giving his all
to the performance. Prince wins on musicianship and stage craft, hands down.
Without a doubt, Prince was the best concert in 2004 for me. And actually
the best concert I have been to in several years
just ruth
2004-12-08 00:28:41 UTC
Post by Mary-Ellen Breton
in love with the 'Spree !
Prince, at long last. Fooking brilliant.
I am still kicking myself about missing Prince this year. I saw him in
'84 and of course that was great although the sound in the venue left
something to be desired..

but damn, everyone I know who saw this tour said it was the Best Thing
Ever and I know a lot of jaded people.

Damn.

Ruth, kicks self in head.

John Bigboote
2004-12-08 00:39:53 UTC
Post by just ruth
I am still kicking myself about missing Prince this year. I saw him in
'84 and of course that was great although the sound in the venue left
something to be desired..
Ruth, I can't imagine they're not going to put out a DVD of the best show
they have. Then it's cheaper, comfort of your own home, best seat in the
house.

And cold beer at a reasonable price,

-jb
"The Future Begins Tomorrow"
Mary-Ellen Breton
Mary-Ellen
JimmyConway75
2004-12-07 04:27:17 UTC
<<< what bands/artists did you see/hear this year >>>

Didn't see as many shows as usual this year, but enjoyed the following:

Jesse Malin
Los Lonely Boys
Marah
Patti Scialfa
Los Lobos
Ryan Adams
Damien Rice
Travis

BP
Zeke
2004-12-07 04:31:58 UTC
Wow!! Jerry, great frigging list!

Subdudes *and* American Music Club... nice!

Being old, we don't get out much:

David Bowie
Prince
Rush
Jackson Browne
Wilco
Green Day
John Fogerty

Who was best? I can honestly say every single one of these shows was
fantastic. But who was best? That's easy. David Bowie, no question. Part
of it was the amazing show - part of it was the stunning venue - a 2,000
seat high school auditorium. In fact, the only show I've not particularly
enjoyed these past few years was Bruce Springsteen @PacBell. Treading water
would be a generous description.

For next year: looking forward to catching this band called "Arcade Fire."
Also, my oldest has been raving about a show he recently saw by a band
called "The Mars Volta."

***@NOSPAMcomcast.net
Grapefruit, it's a fruit! It's an ashtray!
j***@northwestern.edu
2004-12-07 06:07:32 UTC
Post by Zeke
Also, my oldest has been raving about a show he recently saw by a
band
Post by Zeke
called "The Mars Volta."
Grapefruit, it's a fruit! It's an ashtray!
Can't say I care for the Mars Volta at all, but by all means get
yourself to an Arcade Fire show if you have a chance. It's a sublimely
weird and wonderful experience that will have you wondering afterwards
if you really witnessed what just happened.

-Jyqm
Zeke
2004-12-08 06:23:32 UTC
Post by j***@northwestern.edu
Post by Zeke
For next year: looking forward to catching this band called
"Arcade Fire." Also, my oldest has been raving about a show
he recently saw by a band called "The Mars Volta."
Can't say I care for the Mars Volta at all, but by all means get
yourself to an Arcade Fire show if you have a chance. It's a sublimely
weird and wonderful experience that will have you wondering afterwards
if you really witnessed what just happened.
I'm already presold on Arcade Fire.

Judging from everything I've read, I'm sure I'll love them.

Not surprised The Mars Volta doesn't do much for you. It's prog-rock, so
unless you already like that stuff (and most Bruce fans don't) it's prolly a
non-starter. I OTOH fooking love prog-rock, and make no excuses for it.
Bands like Gentile Giant & King Crimson have always been, and always will
be, some of my favorite music. Naturally, the kid heard a lot of those
bands growing up...

At any rate, I was just on The Mars Volta website and I gotta say... I like
it a LOT. According to the youngun they get REAL CRAZY in concert, so this
is definitely a band I want to check out (along with Arcade Fire of course).

Anyway, here's the ONION review, I snatched off their site:

7/11/2003 - The Onion Review
The Mars Volta
De-Loused In The Comatorium (Universal)

Any out-of-context passage of The Mars Volta's debut "De-Loused In The
Comatorium" would likely sound shrill and pretentious to even the most
adventurous rock fan, but taken as a piece, the record's free-flowing
synthesis of Santana, Yes, and Metallica is overwhelming in a good way.

Since splitting off from the raging revolutionary punk band At The Drive
In - leaving the remaining members to soldier on as the
lyrical-but-predictable Sparta - singer Cedric Bixler Zavala and guitarist
Omar Rodriguez-Lopez have spent a year experimenting with alternately
punishing and pleasant sonic environments. Last year's debut EP "Tremulant"
skewed more toward the spacious and atmospheric, but the Rick Rubin-produced
Comatorium is pushier, with jackhammer drums and screeching guitars
providing the foundation for almost every track.

"Son Et Lumiere" rises from silence to a series of short percussion bursts,
setting up the initial punch-shout-and-breathe dynamic of the next track,
"Inertiatic ESP," which shifts in its second half into a polyrhythmic,
quasi-psychedelic freak-out before easing into slow drips of tape hiss. The
drips lead into the similarly wide-ranging, seven-and-a-half-minute
"Roulette Dares (The Haunt Of)," which flashes loud and quiet with the
haphazardness of sunbeams breaking through the window of a speeding train.

The song titles-"Drunkship Of Lanterns," "Take The Veil Cerpin Taxt," and so
on-give the first hint that The Mars Volta is aiming for some kind of hybrid
of prog-rock fantasia and '70s funk surrealism, and in truth, the separation
of these tracks into 10 songs is almost arbitrary.

Like the high-minded concept albums of 30 years ago, Comatorium's arty
exploration can only truly be grasped and enjoyed when played straight
through, so that the whispers have their neighboring screams as
context. -Noel Murray

Zeke
2004-12-07 07:50:54 UTC
Oh yea, I forgot:

The wife and I saw Rod Picot at a bakery in Santa Cruz.

Good bakery. Great show!

Mike Voss
2004-12-07 04:53:12 UTC
Patti Scialfa, The Roxy
Clarence Clemons, Santa Monica Pier

Mike
Don't-get-around-much-anymore, CA
John Bigboote
2004-12-07 05:02:27 UTC
Post by Mike Voss
Clarence Clemons, Santa Monica Pier
Oh, yeah! Saw CC this summer, too. How could I forget?!

Quite easily, as it turns out.

-jb
"The Future Begins Tomorrow"
Jimmy The Saint
2004-12-07 05:36:08 UTC
Jesse Malin(numerous times)
John Eddie(numerous times)
Bruce/REM/Fogerty/Bright Eyes(Philly)
Bob Dylan(Philly)
Saw Doctors/Willie Nile(2 times)
Southside Johnny
Stereophonics
SnowSkyandPine
2004-12-07 15:12:20 UTC
From: ***@aol.comspamsux (Jimmy The Saint) :

< Stereophonics >

how were they live?
T_Hull
2004-12-07 18:57:47 UTC
Post by SnowSkyandPine
< Stereophonics >
how were they live?
I saw them in a bar in Columbus, OH on the JEEP tour. I think they were
opening for U2 at the time and they would schedule some smaller shows
when they had time off. They weren't too bad, Stuart is fun to watch,
too bad he's gone. I think Kelly takes himslef a lttle too serious
though. But it was cool to see a band like that in a bar for $7 with
about 150 other people. I taped the show, but it came out kind of
'boommy' with the small size of the venue and the house guy doing the
boards. I still think 'Performance and Cocktails' is their high point.

Trace

remove 'XXX" to reply.
Jimmy The Saint
2004-12-07 21:49:14 UTC
Post by SnowSkyandPine
< Stereophonics >
how were they live?
CWB ... they were great live .. I have seen them 3 times total now .. once was
an acoustic show .. their records are good ... but they really rock live ..
Kelly is all over the guitar .. they seem to like to turn up the volume .. one
time I saw them .. Kelly had that floppy beach hat & overcoat thing going ..
trying to be like early 70'd Jimmy page I think ... but I'd recommend going to
see them live next time they are around .. If you get lucky they do some pretty
nice covers as well ...
George Smith
2004-12-07 22:17:27 UTC
Post by SnowSkyandPine
< Stereophonics >
how were they live?
I saw them twice this past year, once a sortakinda unplugged private show at
Cubby Bear that you had to win tickets from WXRT to get into, the other opening
for Howie Day. The private show was really great, but not much of a rockin'
thing, being semi-unplugged. The Howie Day show was great, too, but short,
maybe 45 minutes tops, and focused on "You Gotta Go There To Come Back". I
think they only did one song off the first two cds and maybe two from the
third, which was kind of disappointing, but understandable seeing that they're
not especially well known here and not that many people missed hearing those
first two great cds.

I'm definitely hoping to catch them next time they come through on their own
tour.

George

``Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop
thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do
we.'' - George W. Bush
D. Rusnak
2004-12-07 23:34:16 UTC
Shelby Lynne (2)
Jamie Hoover, Bill Lloyd, Don Dixon (3)
BR549
The Mavericks
NRBQ
Graham Parker
Sonny Landreth
John Haitt
Southside Johnny (2)
Nit Gritty Dirt Band
Pete Best(!)
John Eddie
Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers
BRUCE (Cleveland)
Allison Moore
Steve Earle
The Raspberries*
Flood (BRUCE) Aid
Patti Smith

(Best Year!)
deb
we.'' - George W. Bush
just ruth
2004-12-08 00:26:21 UTC
Post by D. Rusnak
Shelby Lynne (2)
Jamie Hoover, Bill Lloyd, Don Dixon (3)
BR549
The Mavericks
NRBQ
Graham Parker
Sonny Landreth
John Haitt
Southside Johnny (2)
Nit Gritty Dirt Band
Pete Best(!)
John Eddie
Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers
BRUCE (Cleveland)
Allison Moore
Steve Earle
The Raspberries*
Flood (BRUCE) Aid
Patti Smith
(Best Year!)
deb
WOW!! That is a good year!! So glad for you guys!

George Smith
2004-12-07 22:04:32 UTC
Post by Jimmy The Saint
Saw Doctors/Willie Nile(2 times)
Damn, two Willie Nile shows! You lucky dog! I'm hoping he tours when that
long-rumored new cd comes along...

we.'' - George W. Bush
A to Z
2004-12-07 22:10:03 UTC
Post by George Smith
Post by Jimmy The Saint
Saw Doctors/Willie Nile(2 times)
Damn, two Willie Nile shows! You lucky dog! I'm hoping he tours when that
long-rumored new cd comes along...
funny, I was envious of the Saw Doctors shows...
we.'' - George W. Bush
George Smith
2004-12-07 05:43:47 UTC
Post by doerz
so, who knocked you out with a live performance this year?
Hmmm, let's see...

BoDeans (something like 10 times or so)
Steve Miller Band
Lowen & Navarro (3 times, I think)
Salt Creek (local Milwaukee bluegrass group at least twice)
Cake
Sonia Dada (3 times)
Los Lobos
Stereophonics (twice)
Sam Llanas (6 or 7 times)
The Mavericks
Collective Soul
Buddy Guy

...and two more BoDeans shows on December 30th & 31st. Probably missing one or
two on that list, too.

Still kicking myself for missing The Vines & Jet together this spring...

we.'' - George W. Bush
SnowSkyandPine
2004-12-07 15:28:15 UTC
haven't got out much this year:

-kasey chambers (the vic theater, chicago) good show, but too short.

-rem (chicago) reallly good show, but lose about five dirgey recent songs for
better ones and it would have been fantastic

-ryan adams/jesse malin (the riveria, chicago) Another semi-shitty show from
ryan, malin's opening, solo acoustic show had far more heart and humor.

-bruce/rem/fogerty/bright eyes (cleveland, detroit) Excellent.

-"the libertines" (the metro, chicago) (in quotes because without peter,
they're not really the libertines. still...) a rockin' show.

-tift merrit (chicago) best surprise this year. excellent show and performer.

jesse malin (chicago). not to be missed with a band.

think we're going to see the white stripes new concert film/dvd premiere on the
big screen thursday night, if our babysitting firms up.

regret missing:

-a show from the bowie tour
-a show from the prince tour
-jimmy eat world
-mindy smith
-the pixies
-nas

I'm slipping.

currently on my hit list:

-the detroit cobras
-arcade fire
-the kills
-loretta lynn w/jack white and the dowhaters (if they follow thru on touring as
they've said they will)
Sue Potters
2004-12-07 15:04:58 UTC
Well, being old and having relatively no life (realizing that I saw more
shows where my kids were performing in the local auditorium), I did
manage to sneak in a few:

John Eddie
Marah
Bruce - VFC in Philly and NJ
Steve Earle

didn't like the Steve Earle show much. I love his music. I hated the
crowd (except for Cheryl!). The people were pushy and obnoxious and
Steve seemed kind of pissed about everything, even though he sounded
great.

John Eddie was great, but he took the stage at 11:30, and left the stage
at almost 1:30, saying he'd be back for another set. I'm too old for
that so I left.

Marah was awesome. So much energy and to see them in such a small place
was unbelievable. I got to meet them after the show (even though I was
in more of a drunken state than I had been in years - the fans were so
friendly and kept buying me drinks). I keep checking to see if they're
heading back to this area anytime soon. I'd like to be a little more
sober for the next one.

don't need to mention how awesome the VFC shows were - especially NJ.
just ruth
2004-12-08 00:25:05 UTC
In article
Post by Sue Potters
Well, being old and having relatively no life (realizing that I saw more
shows where my kids were performing in the local auditorium),
At the risk of sounding corny...aren't those the best kinds of shows??

Actually, no, they are not, now that I really think of it. It's always
too crowded and hot and the parents that leave right after their kid
performs are totally annoying but only if your kid is on last and you
get stuck having to sit through the whole damn thing and stuff..

I saw the VFC tour. That was it. We saw Hairspray on Broadway with
Harvey Firestein and it was fabulous though.. Oh, and we saw Arlo
Guthrie right here in town. And he was hilarious.

Ian
2004-12-07 15:28:41 UTC
Post by doerz
so, who knocked you out with a live performance this year?
This year, I saw...

Easyworld 4 times, including their last gig. All phenomenal
performances, even though the latter two were only 30/40 minute
festival sets which I paid far too much money and travelled far too
long to see.

Marah twice, both in Nottingham. The band played amazingly both times,
though the crowd they attract leaves a lot to be desired. Highlighting
this was the group of men in anoraks conspiring to push me out of the
way so they could stand closer to Serge, but bottling out. Just to be
clear, I'm 18, these guys were in their 40s. I'd rather be in the
worst kiddy moshpit than have to deal with the retarded Q readers that
go to see Marah.

Dogs Die in Hot Cars were disappointing, marred by sound problems and
an indifferent crowd. Craig, bless his cotton socks, gave 110% but the
rest of the band just didn't seem to want to be there.

Kasabian like The Stone Roses a whole lot. The Ordinary Boys suck. The
Beta Band were better than I expected them to be. Faithless were
pretty decent. The Upper Room and The Carolgees are ones to watch.

The rest don't merit mention.

ian
Ian
2004-12-07 15:51:44 UTC
Post by Ian
Post by doerz
so, who knocked you out with a live performance this year?
This year, I saw...
Can't believe I forgot The Killers. The mass singalong to All These
Things That I've Done was one of the defining moments of my year.
Great set.

ian
backstreets
2004-12-07 18:37:32 UTC
Didn't see as many shows as usual this year, some due to being laid off, and
the rest...I'm not sure why. Great thread btw...

Prince
Mindy Smith
Bodeans
Patty Griffin
VFC Bruce, REM ect, Cleveland show
SSJ
Hiatt
Los Lonely Boys/Ingram Hill
Joe Grushecky and the HRers
Bill Toms (local)
The Clarks (local) a few times
Bill Deasy (local) MANY times
Flood Aid

Probably forgetting some and should have gone to see Bowie, just because
he's Bowie but I've never been that big of a fan. WILL go to see U2 next
year for sure ;-)
lohad99
2004-12-07 19:08:33 UTC
In 2004 I saw:
Steve Earle
Don Henley
John Fogerty

Deb
Robert Neugarten
2004-12-07 19:38:54 UTC
I saw

Super Furry Animals (marred by lots of drunken fans, but a good show)
The Undertones (very good show with all the old hits)
Fountains of Wayne (fun!)
Lambchop (always great, gorgeously intense)
Billy Bragg (good night out with the British Steve Earle)
British Sea Power (my favourite band to emerge from the last couple of
years; saw them three times now and they're getting awfully good awfully
fast)
Belle and Sebastian (nice to see them, but they're very sloppy and
ramshackle)
Rufus Wainwright (should've brought a band)
The Veils (good Smiths imitators)
The Delays (not so good Byrds/Mamas & Papas imitators)
Jolie Holland (memories of my daughter flirting with the drummer)
Tuxedomoon (still artsy-fartsy after all these years)
Sufjan Stevens (divine, and with a free geography lesson thrown in)
PJ Harvey (early in the tour, she didn't seem too sure of herself)
David Bowie (fantastic show, shame about the stadium)
Broken Social Scene (when's the new album due?)
Giant Sand (forgot why I went)
Rod Picott (charming guy, very average music)
Richmond Fontaine (check them out)
The Polyphonic Spree (an Experience)
Steve Earle (the American Billy Bragg, still reeling from the election
defeat, but otherwise in fine form)
Southside Johnny (yawn, actually; do we really need Walk Away Renee and a
ten-minute Havin' a Party?)
Detroit Cobras (cliche city, no decent tunes)

I sadly missed Marah. Am hoping Arcade Fire will come over in 2005.
Evan Z
2004-12-08 06:13:47 UTC
Post by Robert Neugarten
PJ Harvey (early in the tour, she didn't seem too sure of herself)
Would love to have seen her this time around, though I don't totally
love the new record. I saw her in NY touring for "Is This Desire?" and
"Stories from the City." Both shows were great; the second was one of my
favorites.

This year I didn't see much that I can remember:

Lucinda Williams (bizarre show--great songs, great singing, odd pacing,
too many guitar solos)
Sleater-Kinney (Incomparable)

Oh, and last week I saw Arlo Guthrie with the Klezmatics, of all bands,
whose set featured the lost Jewish songs of Woody Guthrie (!). Highlight
of the show was a full-band "St. James Infirmary," which has been a
staple of Arlo's solo show for years now.

ezb
BruceESt
2004-12-08 06:26:34 UTC
Let's see, in no particular order:

Detroit VFC - as someone else mentioned, amazing opening salvo from Bruce,
really great great show

Dylan (7 shows) highlights inlcuded all 4 Chicago shows in March, especially
Vic and Park West shows, also loved the show in Peoria in the pouring rain with
Willie Nelson, and finally hearing Not Dark Yet in Dekalb.

Ryan Adams - 11/18 St Louis show, amazing set, very focused Ryan, unlike the
Chicago show a week before (see CWB's comments)

Old 97s (twice) - Abbey Pub and Vic in Chicago, what a great live band, if you
don't have a blast at a 97s show, there's something wrong with you.

Jerry Seinfeld - Chicago Theatre

I might have missed a couple, but those were the highlights.
lohad99
2004-12-08 15:24:33 UTC
I'm definitely losing it!

Gary US Bonds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at Fitzgeralds. What a
fantastic night! How the heck could I forget that one!!!

Deb
W. K. Mahler William K. Mahler
2004-12-08 16:06:14 UTC
a relatively unknown artist, elyse senzon of sandwich mass.....

she just was up there on stage, acoustic guitar strapped on, sundress too.
there are artists that demand attention, then there are artists who dont'
demand anything and mrs. senzon is one of those who don't demand from the
audience. that is what made her so special too. everyone in the audience
(and was packed too) were actually smiling and listening attentively and
happily. me, well i walked up and she looked me in the eye and her smile
just got bigger. i stayed in the back row and totally lost any sense of bad
days then and there. it really lightened me and everyone else around up.
www.elysesenzon.com she is a signed artist but has yet to have a official
release anywhere, other than her home burned music.
the show was free and on the sidewalk of main street hyannis. the other
artists signed by the record label ahem el sucko'ed big time and that is too
bad for even "kat" of pixy 103 and the company she also works for oughta
know just what talent is and exactly who has it too. none of the other
bands could hold a candle of talent compared to mrs. senzon.

..william k. mahler (who's tried to convince mrs. senzon from her busy day
to find a way to make time for me and my and what could be our music.)
www.wkmahler.com